> THE WHO, Concert Review
Ben
post Apr 7 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #1

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

THE WHO REVIEW

Perth's Indian summer of the world's greatest bands climaxed on the weekend with British rock legends The Who making dreams come true at Members' Equity Stadium.
Perth music fans[/url] saw first hand why The Who have been described as the world's greatest live act. Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend on guitar carried the show as the ghost of Keith Moon came through the drums played by Zak Starkey, son of Ringo Starr.

The mostly middle-aged crowd became delirious when Daltrey sweetly sang the 70s anthem My Generation as Townshend showed why he remains as one of the world's top guitarists.

Roger Daltrey still sounds and looks like a combination of rock god and movie star, but it was Pete Townshend who did most of the talking, entertaining the crowd with his irreverent humour and clearly enjoying being in Perth for the first time since they started 45 years ago.

Make no mistake, this was a great concert with great hits that kept on rolling out, including the signature Who Are You, Substitute, You Better You Bet, Pinball Wizard, See Me Feel Me, The Kids Are Alright and the haunting Behind Blue Eyes ("No one knows what it's like, to be the bad man...").

It was remarkable that nearly every song was a recognisable hit and testament to the durability of The Who that Daltrey and Townshend almost sing and play better than they did in the 70s. The only songs missing were I Can See for Miles and the psychedelic Magic Bus, which Pete Townshend has repeatedly told fans across Australia they won't be playing.

For those of you who cringe at seeing big names who can't hit the right notes live, this was an exceptional upbeat Australian tour by The Who, who sometimes played on consecutive nights in different states.

Promoter Andrew McManus and local promoter Robbie Williams can be happy they've delivered again to a Perth public proud to be part of perhaps the punchiest performance of the past few months.

Their pulsating presence has been summed up by U2 lead singer singer Bono who says "More than any other band, The Who are our role models."

The Who showed to Perth concert goers that they really are The Who's Who of rock bands.

--------------------
Ben, Skype "Perth-", Western Australia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 05:30 AM