Ben
post Aug 22 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Email CC:
Greetings,

While I have seen your site(s) on the top of Google for quite a while now and highly admire your efforts Thank you , I feel the need to point out to you an extremely irresponsible statement made on the page: http://www.4webmarketing.biz/searchengineoptimisation.htm

“It's all good news. While Americans wallow in their ignorant arrogance, the rest of the English speaking world quietly goes about their search engine optimisation business.”

I know it is pushing the limits but it was a case of an American LOL at me when he was the stupido. I also see only American spelling on many American sites. While I think the more phonic spelling is better I believe they're (generally meaning most but not all American web marketers are ignorant and in some cases like the guy who LOL at my spelling, are making a big mistake ignoring the Queen's English. [edit needs qualification by addition of ommission: if they want their message to reach the resest of the English speaking world, which has the majority of English speakers, the Queen's English - language of business even in many non-English speaking countries
Not that it’s necessary to preach to you about how only the lowliest choose to make themselves look better by making fun of someone else, but to single out one nationality is actually quite reprehensible, regardless of who it is.

Think about it in terms of non-Americans. Would it be any better or worse to say, “While the Japanese wallow in their ignorant arrogance”? No. HELL no. You’d be tarred and feathered as a racist and you’d probably receive daily death threats. I've been even more critical of Japanese publicly on the old Scarborough Beach forum without death threats and if that did happen I'd be prepared to defend myself.
When it comes to Japanese of today I have no hate of their people and love the cultural diversity they bring to my son's school but their government still slaughter whales and still officially endorse singing of the WWII imperial anthem; Heard at my son's school assembly. I hate that and always walk out in protest when they start. Their imperial zero pilots sang that song when they killed my uncle Ben. That was fair aerial warfare but murdering my grandfather and his brother as a slave building the Burma rail line was a war crime. I never knew nor had support from any relatives except my mum and dad. I would have loved to have known them and the love that i missed out on from an extended family. Maybe that lack of love is why I'm a bit twisted and arrogent when it comes to LOL at stupid Americans.

I’m all for some anti-American sentiment, for we all know that it is most times well-deserved, but NOT on your business’s site… NOT somewhere that is giving the impression that it is professional. Whilst I don't want to alienate American clients, I believe that telling the truth that some are ignorant and arrogant is the best policy and hopefully a wake up to American marketers who want to export their goods and services beyond their boarders. I've taken heed of your advice and added the word "some" Americans to http://www.4webmarketing.biz/searchengineoptimisation.htm

And Yes, I am American, I guessed so and am happily and successfully making a living doing what you do, providing web marketing and search engine optimisation to clients here in Perth, one of which is a highly successful jewellery business downtown. I am a favourite of my clients, because I optimise with colour and flavour, but also with honour.

I wish you luck in doing what you do, but I felt the need to draw your attention to this matter, for it is something that I strongly feel needs remedied.

You may not like the remedy so we then should agree to disagree. Thank you for your feed back and all the best with your business.

Without revealing your name, I have posted this discussion to The Perth Forum for others to join in this interesting topic, hopefully as you, a wise American, has done diplomatically. Feel welcome to respond there.

--------------------
Ben, Skype "Perth-", Western Australia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jexley
post Aug 23 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,881

Forgive my clumsiness, but my choice of the nationality being Japanese was purely meant for example. I did not expect the outrageous tangent that you would take it on. Substitute "Japanese" for ANY nationality and my point remains every bit as valid.

Your generalisations about people based on their nationality are inappropriate. Full stop. On the "old Scarborough Beach forum", on your T-shirt or on a bumper sticker, they merely show your ignorance. But on your business's site, in your email, and on YOUR forum, they now show you as a bigot as well (a term that is almost completely comprised of, hell defined by, ignorance).

QUOTE(Ben @ Aug 22 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]2824[/snapback]
I know it is pushing the limits but it was a case of an American LOL at me when he was the stupido. I also see only American spelling on many American sites. While I think the more phonic spelling is better I believe they're (generally meaning most but not all American web marketers are ignorant and in some cases like the guy who LOL at my spelling, are making a big mistake ignoring the Queen's English.

You see only American spelling on American sites and think that this makes them ignorant and making a mistake ignoring the Queen's English? America has 300 million people (3rd most in the World) and American English is what they read, write, and speak, yet you claim the web marketers are ignorant because this is what they focus on?

Claim ignorance on Americans all you wish, for as I said before, many times it is much deserved. But the statement on your site and the ensuing tirade that you launched about an example of a nationality prove YOU to be the ignorant one... at best. At worst, you're a bigot. This was, and remains, my point.

You've taken this discussion public, and for that I commend the courage of your convictions. Allow me a moment though, to point out that this forum seems almost entirely of threads that you yourself have started. According to your stats, you are far and away the most active poster (though I don't know how accurate those stats are being that I apparently could have only 18 posts and be second on your All-time Most Active List - maybe I'm clicking on the wrong thing).

Anyway, as this is now public, I am inviting you to post this on other relevant forums. This began as a topic based on SEM, and there are many high quality forums with balanced International influence are available for such discussion.

As you wanted this posted publicly and did so, I challenge you to post it in places other than those that are yours. None of these forums are mine, though I will happily post this discussion in any of them if you choose not to.

+Quote Post
Ben
post Aug 23 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

I'm not commenting about peoples in general but rather web copywriter, Americans, targting world wide markets especially those who LOL about spelling of "search engine optimisation"

If you want to print stickers and T-shirts with "Stop Japanese Whalers" slogan, I'll wear it. If that tars me an ingnorant bigot, too bad.

Post away on as many forums as you wish.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jexley
post Feb 9 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,881

QUOTE (Ozaki @ Feb 9 2010, 01:48 PM) *
QUOTE (Jexley @ Aug 23 2007, 12:04 PM) *
Anyway, as this is now public, I am inviting you to post this on other relevant forums. This began as a topic based on SEM, and there are many high quality forums with balanced International influence are available for such discussion.

As you wanted this posted publicly and did so, I challenge you to post it in places other than those that are yours. None of these forums are mine, though I will happily post this discussion in any of them if you choose not to.

As said above or not the forum is free to be posted in by whomever wants to. It does not matter who may own it or not. Just because it is not an "active" forum with day to day discussions going on (this is Perth! we are not that big) does not mean that the argument is swayed either way. While I can see what you are saying as this may be racist etc fair enough it has potential to say so. BUT so do most things!!! if you want to pull out the worst than you can. The statement you are referring to really relies on the fact that not 100% OF THE WORLD IS AMERICAN? do you not understand that?

The way the English language is meant to be spelled or pronounced in the general "english speaking" world is that of the Queen's English not that of American English so it makes a fair point and statement to say that "We do SEO as the greater percentage of people speak IN PERTH / in the world?

And if you just want to sit on your high horse and keep up with the "America is better because im from there" people are entitled to their own opinion and I personally would prefer for a Perth business NOT to market towards america UNLESS that was my target audience! which considering being in Perth is generally NOT!

**EDIT**

Also to add a note

It depends on circumstances! If "Ben" is not targeting american audiences he makes a fair point. IF he is targeting american audiences then he is obviously going to lose business?

Um... did you even read the entire thread?
Sorry, but I think you've entirely missed the point and have also resurrected a 3-year old thread that ran it's course long ago.

My point was NEVER about anything American being better or worse. My point, I think, was clearly outlined above. I would suggest you go back and give the entire thing a read before posting.

+Quote Post
Ben
post Mar 9 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #5

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

I might be off thread a bit because I can't be bothered reading all of it. I'm the publisher of THE most popular website about Perth.

I don't think I would be if I used American English spelling. On the other hand some of my other 717 websites do use American spelling and words. Why yoll folks might like to make a "vacation reservation in a condo" while other tourism sites of mine might target "holiday booking in strata managed accommodation".

Let's ramp it up a bit. The American cultural invasion of Australia pisses me off. For example unthinking lackeys of American cultural imperialism, brain dead commercial and public radio broadcasting producers who dream up trivia quiz questions about America, presidents' names, about states of good ol' USA. Who in their right mind in Australia should care as much as they should care about the name of the second leader of Bulgaria or Mongolia or name the most north eastern province of Thailand. It's bad enough self-centred American navel gazing means most wouldn't have a clue about names of the states of Australia or any other country. While I feel in the mood to dump on Americans (yeah you might name me racist but Americans aren't a race.) They're not even in the race of logical thinking, when 40% of Americans (sic) believe in creationism 10,000 years ago, in the face of strong and growing evidence such as carbon dating, supporting Darwin's theory of evolution. I'd be happy if soon, with so much supporting evidence, that it will be proclaimed Darwin's LAW of evolution.

Please Australian media owners, get that crappy American trivia away from your channels of social engineering. That goes for what editors and producers call news from America. I don't even care for news from the eastern states of Australia. To hell with you all. Give me more local Perth Western Australia (WA, and no that WA to most people unfortunately means Washington State but to me I still need to add it for SEO reasons because some ignorant inward navel gazing Western Australian's think that we've got the only WA acronym.

Come on people of the west of this continent, switch off the American slime from your video, oozing along on your living room floor. There I go brainwashed with American music (culture) when I was an easy to influence teenager.

Yes we should pay respect to the leader of America when he visits Australia next week just as other leaders of populous and influential nations. but please you Australian civic leaders, do a bit of work also when you're using our taxes to recall parliament for meeting the President of America in Canberra Australia. There I go again with my SEO slant. Few Perthites would search for "accommodation perth australia" They might for "accommodaiton perth wa" so I've targeted the international market such as Europeans and Americans which don't know the names of the states of Australia but do know that Perth is in Australia.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 04:13 PM