Ben
post Jul 11 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

SAILING PERTH

Sailing Clubs of Perth
Sailing regattas, sailing races, or any sailing EVENT are better posted on the Perth Sports Calendar. It's free. You can add sailing photos, links to your web pages, etc.

I used to be a professional sailor in the Cook Islands for 10 years but after a 16 year break from sailing, bought a 420 sailing dinghy to teach sailing in Perth to my son who has just turned 10. Hopefully other sailors of the Sunset Coast will want to join the new 420 sailing class at the Hillarys Yacht Club. 0428 910 166

It was a real challenge to rig a 420 yacht, a yacht I'd just bought in Perth but never seen before. There was no one to show us how to rig it on a Saturday as most sailing at the Hillarys Yacht Club is on Sunday. Any how I guessed and figured out the 420 rigging and straight after launching the 420 was into lots of tacking straight against a light westerly wind up a VERY narrow channel between some of the most expensive yachts in Perth, berthed either side. When we sailed out of Hillarys harbour into the Indian Ocean, I was a bit nervous about whether the rigging was done properly so I gave the helm to Jon and went to the bow to check the rigging. While I was frigging about with the rigging I didn't realise Jon was about to jibe so only an urgent scramble to port saved us from capsizing and being washed up on the rocks protecting boats in Hillarys marina on the Sunset Coast. The 420 handled well in the winter swell of the Indian Ocean. We returned to Hillarys harbour safely, half an hour before sunset.

The advantage of sailing on the Swan River is it is safer for young sailors and there are established, active 420 clubs teaching and racing on Perth waters. Disadvantages of Sailing on the Swan River are limited reaches and shallow sand bars in places to run a keel boat aground on. The advantage of Indian Ocean sailing is it's clean, clear sea water, and wide open spaces. Also the Hillarys Yacht Club located in the Hillarys marina is closer to most sailors of the Sunset Coast. There is only limited protection behind the 3 mile reef which goes from Trigg for thousands of kilometers north, parallel to the Western Australian coast.

After attending the HYC AGM on Sunday, I'm convinced that they are organised, good people and keen sailors. After speaking with the owner of a charter catamaran in Fremantle and HYC volunteer sailing instructor for the youth who also mentioned the desire for my dinghy classes, I'm calling for sailors of the Sunset Coast who what to start a 420 class or Hobie 16 class at the Hillary's Yacht Club to contact the HYC.

--------------------
Ben, https://seoperth.expert
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2020 - 11:31 PM