Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Government / Public Service Standards, Induction Training
Ben
post Oct 9 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The Premier and Minister for Public Sector Management, Alan Carpenter, has welcomed today’s release of the Corruption and Crime Commission’s Report into Smith’s Beach Development.

The Premier, who is in Kununurra to open a new health centre, said the report would be examined in detail and acted upon where necessary.

“Adverse findings against individual public servants will be treated as a priority and disciplinary processes will be initiated immediately,” Mr Carpenter said.

“I expect the highest standards from my Government and a new induction program is being developed to promote the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity.”

The program was the latest in a series of initiatives undertaken by the Labor State Government to promote open and accountable government.

“This Government has introduced a series of measures to increase the accountability of the public sector, including the establishment of the Corruption and Crime Corruption (CCC), the introduction of public interest disclosure legislation, a Ministerial Code of Conduct, and a register of lobbyists,” the Premier said.

“As a result of these initiatives, Western Australia today demands the highest standards of accountability in the nation.

“I have no doubt that the conduct of the overwhelming majority of our public officers is beyond reproach.

“However, the accountability requirements with which public officers must comply have become increasingly complex.

“The induction program will ensure that new senior public servants and Ministerial officers are up-to-date with all the rules and regulations in place.

“All future Members of Cabinet and Parliamentary Secretaries will also be subject to the course.

“Strong ethical conduct cannot be achieved without leadership from the very top, and I want Ministers to be absolutely clear about their responsibilities.”

The new program would cover issues such as risk management, identifying and managing conflicts of interest, handling confidential information, and managing relations with the private sector.

The Department of the Premier and Cabinet (DPC) was developing the program, in consultation with the CCC, the Public Sector Standards Commissioner, the Auditor General, and the State Ombudsman.

It was expected to be operating early next year.

The DPC was also establishing an advisory service to assist public sector officers requiring assistance in dealing with such issues as potential conflicts of interest.

--------------------
Ben, Skype "Perth-", Western Australia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 02:39 AM