IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perth Food Prices, Perth food prices, increasing demand, drought = price rises
Ben
post Oct 24 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #1

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

A visiting Canadian student asked about Perth food prices. I noticed the price of cheese had doubled in the year of the 2007 Australian drought. I heard the drought is also pushing up grain prices which pushes up prices of chicken and other grain feed animals. Here's an estimate copied from the Education Forum

Independent fruit and vegie stores are better for freshness and prices. I don't shop much but here are some aproximate Perth food prices from one of the 2 bigger food chains. Perth shopping housewives would have a better idea and are invited to correct me.
Aust$/kg
5.00 Lamb, still good value
3.00 2 litre bottle of milk
10.00 Cheese (doubled in price within the past year because of the Australian drought of 2007)
4.00 Friut & Vegies, lemons, oranges, apples, tomatoes,
3.00 Potatos, onions, carrots
7.00 Bananas
20.00 Western Australian prawns (avoid imported aqua-cultured seafood)
20.00 Better cuts of steak
3.00 Bread, or it works out at $1 per loaf if you bake your own like I do. Fresher too.
2.00 Packet of biscuits

The only fast food price drop are pizzas. When I was young, a large pizza was $25 now $6. Burger King (HJs) large $3.45 but with a 2 for 1 voucher are a good deal.

The smart food buyer, as in any country just has to remember: buy local, in season food. For example from the Innaloo seafood store:
5.00/kg Whole herring. Better still go fishing and catch it yourself.
and from the independent fruit and vegie store.
0.79/kg in season, green "Granny Smith" apples.

--------------------
Ben, Skype "Perth-", Western Australia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 01:03 PM