Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Perth Teacher
Ben
post Dec 12 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #1

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

A teacher from Hamilton Senior High School has been named the Premier’s Teacher of the Year for 2008.

Rosinda Seara, who has been teaching at Hamilton Senior High School Perth for 21 years, collected the $100,000 award from Premier Colin Barnett this morning. It was one of a number of honours presented to teachers, schools and school staff at the inaugural Western Australian Education Awards. Mr Barnett said Mrs Seara and all today’s winners represented the best-of-the-best in Western Australian education. “These passionate and dedicated people and schools inspire their students, motivate their colleagues and provide our State with a bright future,” the Premier said. “The effect these winners have on the lives of others is astounding - from unlocking the secrets of words and numbers, to giving children the confidence to tackle challenges and helping young adults find rewarding careers.” Mrs Seara was credited by the award judges as being a highly committed, passionate teacher of great integrity who refused to accept any socioeconomic, race or gender limitations to education. She is well known for her dedication to students well beyond the classroom walls and for finding new ways to motivate and engage students. “I believe in taking students out of the classroom and so we have been on 18 excursions this year,” she said.

“I search for subjects that interest my students and I give them challenging tasks that are linked to real world skills.” Mrs Seara’s win follows her selection as deputy tour leader on the 2009 Premier’s ANZAC Student Tour, during which students and teachers will visit the Western Front in Europe next April. The Premier’s Teacher of the Year is selected from the winners of three WA Education Award categories - Western Australian Teacher of the Year (Perth), WA Teacher of the Year (Rural/Remote) and Western Australian Lecturer of the Year (TAFEWA).

The Department of Education and Training’s first State-wide award for a school support staff member was won by Lynley Juboy, an Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer at the Looma Remote Community School in the Kimberley.

--------------------
Ben, Skype "Perth-", Western Australia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben
post Dec 12 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #2

Maximum Perth Enthusiast

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Duty of Care

I know Rosinda Seara is a good teacher when I read how she takes students out of the classroom on excursions. I used to do that as often as I could but over the years obstacles mounted. For example when i was teaching the digestive system of mammals, I simply told the students get in the bus, on the way past the office collected the keys and drove them to the Broome abators to see the fresh insides of cattle. Simple. Years latter when I returned to Australia:
  • Signed forms from each student's parent
  • Bus forms
  • Forms and arrangement of supervision for students staying behind because they didn't have signed forms
  • etc

I understand duty of care but more care than a proxy parent is bullocks and one reason why I quit teaching science.

Another example: My child goes to a school near Scarborough Beach, yet the school does not take students there on calm, warm mornings because of the risk of drownings. I and any parent would be devastated at the loss of a child yet I am prepared to take the risk of letting the school take my son to learn swimming etc at the beach than wrap him up in cotton wool. The world has changes and I think somethings like the push for EXTREMIST duty of care is unfortunate. I congratulate Rosinda for all of the hard work in getting students out into the real world where real, meaningful, relevant, interesting learning is done.

--------------------
Ben, Skype "Perth-", Western Australia

+Quote Post
DavGlamy
post Jul 10 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #3

OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TO

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,931

Osu OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM Farmacia buy OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM Lawrence Walter OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM. Vomit.

--------------------
Want To Buy Real Finasteride [url=http://onlinecial.com]online OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM. Vomit.[/url] Women'S OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM _________OFF TOPIC WEB SPAM For Sale

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 10:43 AM